Before you come to CERN, there are several things you need to do to prepare your arrival.
1. Ensure compliance with VISA and permits requirements.
If you are considering taking up residence with your family, you should be aware that there are differences between the French and Swiss regulations governing work permits and residence permits for the members of your family (spouse, registered partner and dependent children).
3. Request for a CERN computing account activation.
4. Follow the mandatory “Computer Security” training. (You must enroll a "session" to start an online course.)
5. Check your Health Insurance
Social insurance is the responsibility of your home institution.
You will have to make sure that you have accident and health insurance (also covering you for occupational illnesses and accidents) with adequate cover in Switzerland and France for you and any accompanying family members. It must include adequate cover for all countries you may visit on official travel. More information about insurances can be found here.
5. Check with the Installation Service about removals and importation formalities of vehicles, furniture and
6. Ensure your driving licence is valid for the duration of your contract. For information see "Vehicles".
7. If you intend to import animals you should check the official website :