What I need to do

    Before you come to CERN, there are several things you need to do to prepare your arrival.

    1. Travel documents

    Ensure compliance with VISA and Work and Residence Permits.

    2. Pre-register 

    Ask an authorised person (for Users: Team Leader or Deputy Team Leader; for COAS and VISCs: the Department Head or person appointed by the Department Head) to initiate your Pre-Registration remotely via the Pre-Registration Tool. You must also attach a Home Institution Declaration (HID) duly completed and signed by an authorised representative of your home institution. Note that PRT forms should not be submitted earlier than 6 months prior to the onsite arrival date of the person concerned. 
    *For the Pre-registration of a COAS, a cooperation agreement number is required.

    Measures and requirements applicable to you as a new Associated Member of the CERN Personnel in the COVID-19 context.

    3. Computing account
    Request the activation of your CERN computing account.

    4. Follow the recommended and mandatory courses
    - COVID-19 - Health & Safety Measures at CERN (highly recommended)
    - Computer Security
    - Emergency Evacuation
    - Radiation Protection - Awareness
    - Safety at CERN
    (you must enrol in a "session" to start an online course).

    5. Health Insurance

    Health Insurance is the responsibility of your home institution. You will have to make sure that you have accident and health insurance (also covering you for occupational illnesses and accidents) with adequate cover in Switzerland and France for you and any accompanying family members. It must include sufficient cover for all countries you may visit on official travel.

    6. Pre-book a desk online via Burotel

    Burotel is a desk-booking service available to Users staying at CERN for less than 6 months and whose institute does not have any assigned offices on site. It is advised to pre-book online before arrival.

    7. Relocation process
    Check with the Installation Service for removals, importation formalities of vehicles, furniture and personal effects.

    8. Driving authorisation
    - Ensure your driving licence is valid for the duration of your contract. For information, see Vehicles.
    - If you are coming to CERN with your vehicle, you can register it before arriving, following the procedure on this link. If you plan on importing a vehicle, you can visit the Installation service's webpages and/or contact them via the Service Desk. Please note that importation formalities for your vehicle (in CH or FR depending on where you choose to live) must be completed within the first year of arrival.

    9. Traveling with pets
    If you intend to import animals, you should check these official websites:
    For Switzerland: Border veterinary controls.
    For France: Border veterinary controls.

    Should you have any questions, please submit a request through the UO Service Page

    Updated on