What is PRT
This information is provided for the supervisors and their administrative help of the future Users, Cooperation Associates (COAS), and Visiting Scientists (VISC).
In the context of PRT the supervisor is:
- the Team Leader for Users and,
- the CERN Department Head or Group Leader for COAS and VISCs.
All the future Users, COAS, VISCs, and ex-members of CERN, are called "newcomers" in the following text. "Newcomers" cannot use PRT themselves.
PRT was introduced to ease further the registration at CERN and to help minimizing delays for the "newcomers" that could occur due to incomplete documents when registering and in being granted access to the site and to computing resources.
Maximum length of contract
Users and Cooperation Associates 3 years - Visiting Scientists 1 year
A Short term contract is a single stay of maximum 3 months, not renewable
PRT is only for people coming to CERN physically in the near future. PRT cannot be used for change of status or change of institute nor for a contract extension.
Pre-registration via PRT provides the following advantages:
- Personal data and relevant documents can be provided by the newcomer electronically.
- The supervisor can sign remotely via the tool and their signature is binding for the registration. Pre-registration via the PRT tool replaces the paper Registration Form.
- The Users’ Office verifies the data and documents prior to the person’s arrival at CERN.
- The supervisor can nominate a trusted person to help the "newcomers" in pre-registering.
- The newcomer can obtain a computing account before coming to CERN by sending an email together with a copy of the passport to: email@example.com.*
How to register a newcomer?
For the pre-registration of a "newcomer" via PRT supervisors or the trusted person open a New Registration Form. They can fill in the registration data themselves or invite the future User in their team to provide their personal data and documents in an electronic form. For this purpose they identify the new person by filling the status, the experiment, home institute, name, first name and email address. The Supervisor then ‘shares’ the form which initiates the sending of an email to the "newcomer" which includes all necessary instructions.
The newcomer fills the electronic registration form, attaches the mandatory documents (Home Institution Declaration and passport or identity card) and then ‘sends‘ it. It will be routed to the Supervisor for validation, completion and signature. No additional registration form is required. The signature via the electronic tool replaces the paper signature of the registration form and thus is legally binding for the registration contract.*
The supervisor can grant access rights to PRT via the tool to a trusted person, typically the secretary of the department or of the remote institute. Access to PRT requires a CERN primary computing account. In case of Users the supervisor can register the trusted person as an external participant of the experiment. Subsequently, a primary computing account can be requested.
*In order to proceed with the PRT and sign documents electronically, supervisor has to pass the compulsory Team Leader course.